Do you want to learn how to share Story Massage with Children?
At Connected Kids, we are delighted to have formed a collaboration with the team from Story Massage to complement our work helping children improve their health and well-being.
Story Massage is easy to learn and involves the use of simple movements (children are clothed), linked to words that help tell a story. Story Massage has a flexible approach as it can be shared as a child to child or parent to child activity.
At present it is used worldwide in a variety of settings including home, school, after-school clubs, family centres, hospices and special schools.
Story Massage Level 1 – Accredited Online Course
The course has been taught worldwide, but now you can learn at a time and place to suit you through our online learning course.
This easy-to-use, interactive online course will give you the support and experience you need to help you share Story Massage with children of all ages and abilities.
The course is a collaboration between Connected Kids and the co-founders of Story Massage, Mary Atkinson and Sandra Hooper, authors of the popular book Once upon a touch… story massage for children (the book comes as part of the course).
Sandra and Mary will show you how to help children feel calmer and more focused, and encourage better communication and engagement. Plus, you will learn more about how to adapt Story Massage for children with additional needs.
It’s a self-directed, interactive course that you can begin at a time to suit you.
Who is the Story Massage online course for?
- SEN staff
- complementary therapists
- health care professionals including play therapists,
- physiotherapists, occupational therapists, educational psychotherapists
- or anyone working with children,
(Suitable for any level of experience – beginner to advanced.)
The online course (approx. 12 to 18 hours of study) includes everything which Mary and Sandra cover in their face-to-face Story Massage course. It includes a copy of Once upon a touch…story massage for children by Mary Atkinson and Sandra Hooper.
The course includes 5 easy-to-use modules.
- Module 1 – Getting started with Story Massage
- Module 2 – The ten Story Massage strokes
- Module 3 – Developing your Story Massage skills
- Module 4 – Adapting and creating massage stories
- Module 5 – Making Story Massage work for you
use. All the important factors are repeated which helps learning. I loved using the stickers and creating my own stories. I was amazed at how the ten strokes can be used in so many different ways. The sky’s the limit!” Emma-Jayne Beattie, Holistic Therapist at Tranquility Toes Reflexology.
What you will learn on the Story Massage Course
- Understand the importance of positive and respectful touch for children.
- Discover the emotional, social, physical and educational benefits of Story Massage for children.
- Discover how Story Massage can help children with additional needs.
- Understand what Story Massage is and the most appropriate stories to share with children of different ages and abilities.
- Learn our ten basic Story Massage Strokes with their names and symbols. This helps to create a universal language within our Story Massage community.
- Learn how to introduce Story Massage to children.
- Understand how to use our Story Massage strokes to adapt familiar stories, songs and nursery rhymes.
- Gain confidence in how to create Story Massage activities for children.
- Learn how to encourage children to create their own massage stories.
Benefits of the Online Version of Story Massage
- Flexible – start and finish the course at your own pace in the comfort of your own home. You will have full access to the online course materials for 6 months (extensions are available).
- Expert advice – enjoy video clips of the authors and experts, Sandra Hooper and Mary Atkinson, sharing useful tips to help you share Story Massage with children.
- Practical – Mary and Sandra describe how Story Massage can be shared with children of all ages and abilities.
- On-going support – ongoing support through email, You Tube and newsletters.
- Free book – it includes a copy of Once upon a touch…story massage for children by Mary Atkinson and Sandra Hooper
- Free stickers and template – to encourage you to start sharing Story Massage with children.
- Downloadable resources – practical and easy-to-use answer sheets to help you review and reflect on your learning during the course.
- Technical support – if you need some extra help getting started or using the Story Massage online course, we have experts to help you.
- Easy-to-use – no special software required! – The videos and Story Massage activities (mp3s) will play on your current pc software – you will access it via the internet.
- Live support – all through the course, there are opportunities to ask questions by email, via our online discussion forum or our virtual classroom sessions.
- Certificate of Completion – at the end of the online course you will receive an email containing your certificate of completion.
How is the Story Massage qualification recognised?
The Story Massage online course is perfect if you wish to share the benefits of Story Massage with your own children. If you are already working with children, we can issue you with a certificate of completion which can count towards your CPD (continuous professional development). The course is approved for CPD points by The Federation of Holistic Therapists (FHT).
You may wish to confirm with your insurer/employer that they will accept this course. A certificate will be sent to you on completion of the course.
Ready to take the Story Massage online course?
The course has 12 – 18 hours worth of material and there are two options to purchase.
In this option, the course costs £134 and includes Story Massage stickers and a copy of the If you are based outside the UK and don’t have the book, Option 2 is better. Option 2 – without the book The cost of the online course (no book or stickers) is only £115 (as the cost of the book and stickers is covered by you). You can find out more about Story Massage resources and order directly from the team at Story Massage – Resources >>> (The book is also available as an E-book >>>)
book – Once upon a touch … story massage for children. The book is required reading for the course and will be sent out within 7 days of your purchase (if you live in the UK).
In this option, the course costs £134 and includes Story Massage stickers and a copy of the
If you are based outside the UK and don’t have the book, Option 2 is better.
Option 2 – without the book
The cost of the online course (no book or stickers) is only £115 (as the cost of the book and stickers is covered by you). You can find out more about Story Massage resources and order directly from the team at Story Massage – Resources >>>
(The book is also available as an E-book >>>)
If you wish to convert this value into your local currency, please use this Currency Converter>>>.
Preview of the Story Massage course contents
Here’s a sample of the videos you will see on the Story Massage course
Easy-to-complete self-assessment questions – helping you understand what you have learned and put it into practice!.
You will be able to download practical and accessible answer sheets to help you review and reflect on your learning during the course.
The creation of this course has been inspired and informed by the work of Mary Atkinson or Sandra Hooper of Story Massage. We help promote the course (we think it’s great) but the payment is processed via the Story Massage team. Connected Kids Ltd promotes the online course on behalf of Story Massage . Connected Kids accepts no responsibility for the content of the Story Massage course. Please visit www.storymassage.co.uk/contact/ for their terms and conditions, privacy statement and disclaimer policy.