How to start teaching meditation
Sheila Laing, Head Teacher
My parents introduced me to this empowering tool when I was a teenager and I have practised this amazing life skill ever since.
In 2003, I began the journey of teaching meditation to kids/teens.
Working in schools and privately with families, I quickly realised that children could meditate and it offered many benefits:
- better sleep
- reduced anxiety
- improved self esteem
- ability to focus and study
- reduced their stress levels
Through my training as a therapist and encouraged by my meditation teacher, I moved from teaching adults to teaching kids meditation, becoming a highly skilled meditation teacher and intuitive.
- Clinical Aromatherapist
- Usui Reiki Master Teacher
- Meditation Tutor at the College of Parapsychology
- Indian Head Massage Therapist
- Emotional Freedom Techniques Practitioner
- Holy Fire Karuna Reiki Master Teacher
- Meditation Tutor at Maggie’s Centre for cancer
- Bach Flower Remedies training
- Mindfulness Based Inner Repatterning Therapist
- Theta Healing Practitioner
- 5-Awakenings Therapist (dealing with trauma/bullying)
- Founder of worldwide Connected Kids programme ™
- Author of “Calm Kids – help children relax with mindful activities” over 30,000 books sold worldwide!
- Silver award winner from ‘Mom’s Choice’ – 2013
- Author of “Connected Kids – help kids shine through mindful activities” specialising in kids with autism/adhd/special needs.
- Member of the Mindfulness Association
- Member of IMTA (International Meditation Teachers Association)
- Forming the International Training School – Connected Kids Ltd
- Awarded the National Parenting Product Recognition Award in 2018.
- Foster carer since 2017
In 2003, I decided it was time for society to address the growing level of stress young people were experiencing.
So I decided to write books about my experiences of teaching and set up our Connected Kids Programme – showing adults how to take a heartfull-ness approach to teaching children and young people meditation and mindfulness.
International best-sellers in teaching meditation
My practice of teaching children was produced into the first book published in 2012, ‘Calm Kids – help children relax with mindful activities’ (also translated into Chinese, Dutch and Romanian) and has sold over 30,000 copies worldwide.
The book helped found the worldwide, accredited teaching programme, ‘Connected Kids‘, empowering parents, educators and other professionals with the skills to teach children of all ages, meditation and mindfulness.
My 2nd published book (2014), ‘Connected Kids: Help Kids With Special Needs (and Autism) Shine With Mindful, Heartfelt Activities’ is an international best-seller. It outlines the techniques, based on our direct, case study research into teaching mindfulness skills to young people with additional support needs.
There are many ways you can start introducing children and teens to meditation and mindfulness:
- start your personal meditation practice (so you can show kids)
- read books about teaching meditation
- take a course
- be inspired by my blog >>>
- Watch helpful videos with tips and ideas – YouTube Channel >>>
Whatever you choose to do, the very fact that you are here suggests that you can make an important, mindful contribution to young people.
I hope you choose to connect with our vision.
Company Registration: Connected Kids ltd, registration SC466406, Companies House, Edinburgh, UK. Registered address; 44 St Ronan’s Terrace, Innerleithen, EH446RB. VAT Reg. No. 258441392